TimLeonard TimLeonard is offline
Member

Quote:
I have made some assumptions with I need to check with you.

I am considering differences to be either
Changes
Deletions
Additions

The comparison is run on the SUBSET of rows (on the Summary and CompareData sheets) that have an entry in the DeviceTypes column.
On Summary, if the engineer deletes the data in all of the columns we allow him to edit, the DeviceTypes entry will blank.
Since CompareData is derived from PanelData, and PanelData is downloaded from the field, I am assuming that PanelData will not include a DeviceType entry of 1 or 2 or 3 unless there is a Device present

If that assumption is true, then:.
This is true...

Quote:
1. Any row on the Summary sheet that has data in the first (ProjectNumber) column is "Changed"
2. Any row on the Summary sheet, where the data in the columns for
DeviceLabel
ExtendedLabel and/or
TypeCodeLabel
do not agree with the data in those columns for the row on the CompareData sheet that has the same Merged Address is "Changed"
3. Any row on the Summary sheet which contains a MergedAddress entry that does not exist on CompareData is an "Addition"
4. Any row on the CompareData sheet for which the MergedAddress does not exist on the Summary sheet is a "Deletion"

So I wind up with a list of MergedAddresses that can fall into one of the above three categories (and can be used to lookup the rest of the row).
How exactly would you want this information presented?

One way would be to have three tables
Added -- and give the row information from the Summary sheet
Deleted -- and give the row information from the CompareData sheet
Changed -- and I suppose for this we could output the data from both sheets
If we present the row information, do you want to present ALL of the columns? Or just a subset of the columns?
I am not sure exactly how this information should be presented but I like your suggestion of the tables. I am very flexible here and am open to suggestions...I just think which every way it winds up, we need the option to update the summary sheet to reflect the latest information from the comparedata sheet...

Comments for items 1-4 above:
1. I think the (Project Number) column from the summary sheet should be considered as "informational"...No update option required...since it will only be on the summary sheet until it is programmed in the field....so instead of 3 items/tables it may be 4

2. the thought of "changed" fields...If possible this should have the option to update the summary sheet with the changes or differences found...

3. A row on the Summary sheet that does not exist on CompareData is an "Addition"...Again this is informational since we are not concerned with updating the comparedata sheet...No update option required...

4. This one is a little tricky or misleading. In one case the PanelData/CompareData sheet could have a device not on the summary sheet due to having to add additional devices in the field, which will eventually be populated on the summary sheet but not until the as-built of the drawings and update of the summary sheet. In another case the field technician could delete more devices and the engineer expected and thus the summary sheet would not reflect this. In this case it truly would be a deletion that would need to be reflected on the summary sheet... So it should have the option to update the summary sheet with the differences found if possible

Quote:
One further question: On PanelData, I have noted that unpopulated Extended Label fields are, in fact, populated with thirteen (13) spaces. Do you have any objection if, in creating the CompareData and Summary sheets, we remove these spaces?
The spaces represent of actual number of character the field can contain...In fact it is 20 spaces for the "DeviceLabel" column and 13 for the "ExtendedLabel" column. So whatever is easier for the compare sheet. I can say the engineer will not put the spaces in on the summary sheet so we may want to remove them...

Quote:
Also, where are you located. I'm in Maine, in the US, and your responses usually get here in the evening local time.
I am in California, however I noticed that the forum does not update very quickly in fact several hours go by before it populates. Any suggestions to speed up the replies...