Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld[_2_] Ron Rosenfeld[_2_] is offline

Default Fraction to Decimal

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:11:13 +0000, Michael Dugan wrote:

I got an Excel Spread sheet from one of my suppliers and I'm trying to
use the data to do a bulk import into my online store.

One of the fields is written in "general" format. All the cells in the
column are written as fractions (including the " sign) i.e. 3 3/4"

I used the following function to strip off the "

=CONCATENATE(LEFT(AB2, LEN(AB2)-1))

My problem is no matter how I format the cells, I can't get the
resulting fractional number to appear as a decimal number (I need it to
be in decimal form not "behind the scenes" but visually in the cell so
it imports properly.

I know that this should be simple, but it aint for me!

HELP!

Replace the " with nothing, then coerce to a numeric value:

=--SUBSTITUTE(AB2,"""","")

The second argument consists of four "