TreeHugger1 TreeHugger1 is offline
Junior Member

Default Divide a # into 3 #'s rounded to a whole #

I have a Cost that must be divided into 3 separate percentages that my company can bill against. We don't like to input any budget numbers into our accounting system that contain cents, so we round all of our numbers up or down manually so that they may be added up to equal the original total.

So if I have a cost of $17, and I have to divide it into 3 numbers (15%, 35%, & 50%), how can i create three separate formulas to automatically round the 3 numbers to the nearest whole dollar and still create a sum of $17?

Assume $17 = H35, 15% = H6, 35% = H7, & 50% = H8
I tried the following, which seems to not work for all total numbers:
=Rounddown(H35*H6,0) = 2
=Roundup(H35*H7,0) = 6
=Rounddown(H35*H8,0) = 8
Sum of numbers = $16

I need the 3 formulas to work with any number that I input into H35. I may be changing the 3 %'s also in the future, so the formula would have to work with different %'s.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by TreeHugger1 : February 7th 13 at 12:28 AM Reason: I needed to explain one more variable.