Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CellShocked CellShocked is offline

Default Generating a cut list

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 15:29:45 -0500, "wabbleknee"
wrote:

"CellShocked" wrote in message
.. .

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 16:28:21 -0500, "wabbleknee"
wrote:

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Yes, the most recent blade in the saw is
1/8". You might think for a moment that this would be negligible,
however,
just last week a particular list required 3.97 10' lengths. As careful as
was, I had to cut into a 5th length due to blade width. I have been doing
it the manual way now for quite a while and most of the smaller scraps I
have been cutting into 2 1/8" to join various elbows, tee's etc. (1.25"
pipe) I am experimenting now with a spreadsheet that lists all lengths,
1/8" increment, and putting a 1 in the pick column I need, it will pick
that
length, put it in another column that I sum. Conditional format that sum
column so that it turns red when over 120" OR I can also use the sum
figure to subtract from 120 to give me amount remaining or even a PIE chart
like Hard drive properties show :o) i.e.

A B C D
1 12 12 48
24 0
1 36 36

D1 is summing cell =sum(C:C) and will read 48 in this example and continue
on until full utilization of that 10 foot pipe

Formula for C1 (& down) = IF(A1=1,B1,"") If there is a "1" in column
A1,
write the contents of B1 into C1.

This works but there is a lot of selecting and unslecting in the maximizing
process.

Pipe #2, I would enter 2 and have a separate summing column and so on.
Sort
the whole mess by the pick column "A" for cut list.

Just thought I could "automate" this process somehow because there is
always
"changes" to the job and screws up everything :o)

Did you look at the workbook I made for you? I posted a link in the
post you responded to.

Yes I did, thank you very much. Should have said thanks long time ago.

Worst case, you can cut and paste some of the comments and save some
spiffing-up time. :-)