Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
wabbleknee wabbleknee is offline

Default Generating a cut list

"GS" wrote in message ...

CellShocked wrote :
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 02:04:43 -0500, GS wrote:

CellShocked presented the following explanation :
The cut-off saws most often in use would have a 1/8 or 5/32 saw kerf.

I would make a system where that is a stored, user selected value (as
in a cell assigned a range name)

I agree!

I started a workbook for him, but it may not be the direction he wants
to go.

I think each pipe should get a listing, just like a military wire cut
list.

So the 2 or 3 or whatever @ whatever length listing would have each qty
item broken out.

Give it a look...

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?kpf1sp8eavakmpb

That's a pretty straight forward design that should work.

I already have a working solution for a material cut list (which also
does costing) that I did for a client. This was custom designed to
service "machining allowance" where the material was used on a
particular cnc machining center, and is tied into their jobcosting
tables. Unfortunately it's proprietary and so I can't share it.

The most important things about this type of project is to work with
the "yield" number of pieces. This includes tracking the shorts
(leftovers), and correctly allowing for "kerf" of the workstation (saw
machine) used for cutting the material, as well as any machining
allowance required for followup processes.

--
Garry

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Yes, the most recent blade in the saw is
1/8". You might think for a moment that this would be negligible, however,
just last week a particular list required 3.97 10' lengths. As careful as I
was, I had to cut into a 5th length due to blade width. I have been doing
it the manual way now for quite a while and most of the smaller scraps I
have been cutting into 2 1/8" to join various elbows, tee's etc. (1.25"
pipe) I am experimenting now with a spreadsheet that lists all lengths,
1/8" increment, and putting a 1 in the pick column I need, it will pick that
length, put it in another column that I sum. Conditional format that sum
column so that it turns red when over 120" OR I can also use the sum
figure to subtract from 120 to give me amount remaining or even a PIE chart
like Hard drive properties show :o) i.e.

A B C D
1 12 12 48
24 0
1 36 36

D1 is summing cell =sum(C:C) and will read 48 in this example and continue
on until full utilization of that 10 foot pipe

Formula for C1 (& down) = IF(A1=1,B1,"") If there is a "1" in column A1,
write the contents of B1 into C1.

This works but there is a lot of selecting and unslecting in the maximizing
process.

Pipe #2, I would enter 2 and have a separate summing column and so on. Sort
the whole mess by the pick column "A" for cut list.

Just thought I could "automate" this process somehow because there is always
"changes" to the job and screws up everything :o)