Hi I am Michael Hi I am Michael is offline
Junior Member

Location: New York
Default Sum Function has small remainder

HI.

I am using the sum function to add three numbers that I know add to zero. I have typed these numbers in using the keyboard and none of these numbers have more than two decimal places. The numbers are

9,375.73
(9,362.27)
(13.46)

The answer given by the sum function is (0.00000000000087396756498492300000)

I am formatting all these numbers as comma style. In comma style all true zeros show up as "-" and all numbers between (.005) and .005 exclusively are displayed as "(0.00)" This causes inconsistencies in how zeros are displayed in my report.

I am using Excel 2003 on Windows 7

Thank you for your help

Michael