Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default how to detect host id of a computer using excel

Ron Rosenfeld expressed precisely :
On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 08:13:02 -0800, Chairman Meow
wrote:

They have not implemented these things for a while. There must be some
way for a John Doe OEM Machne maker who buys Joe Bloe MOBO maker's cheap
run MOBO series in M quantities to go in and set these parameters.

I'd bet the main drawback is that each BIOS chip would have to be
individually burned with a unique code block, as opposed to mass burning
a bank of BIOS chips all at one time with the same code. But a modern
flash chip could do both. Burn the base code, and update the S/N later.
but that STILL requires individual chip attention and handling, as well
as the tracking aspect imposed on the maker.

That explains a lot. Even the UUID can, according to some stuff I've read,
change if the MB loses all power (including the battery backup).

I wonder how MS ties an installation to a particular motherboard? Do they
use the machine GUID in the registry? Or something else?

A GUID is not the same as a BSN. Most GUIDs are listed under
HKCR\CLSID, which is where I used to store app license info back when I
was using the Registry. (Now my stuff is 100% reg-free) It's quite
likely where MS puts stuff!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!