Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default how to detect host id of a computer using excel

on 06/01/2013, Chairman Meow supposed :
On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 09:50:40 -0500, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 09:42:51 -0500, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

In the original version of your Get_BIOSserialNum function, if I examine
vBIOS in the Watch window and look at Qualifiers_ Item 4, I see, (in part):
: Name : "UUID" : Value :
"{8502C4E1-5FBB-11D2-AAC1-006008C78BC7}" I don't really know what this
represents.

Hmmm. I doubt that UUID represents a machine specific value, because
the identical UUID appears in an example he

http://include.wutils.com/wmi/ROOT%5...in32_BIOS.html

They have not implemented these things for a while. There must be some
way for a John Doe OEM Machne maker who buys Joe Bloe MOBO maker's cheap
run MOBO series in M quantities to go in and set these parameters.

I'd bet the main drawback is that each BIOS chip would have to be
individually burned with a unique code block, as opposed to mass burning
a bank of BIOS chips all at one time with the same code. But a modern
flash chip could do both. Burn the base code, and update the S/N later.
but that STILL requires individual chip attention and handling, as well
as the tracking aspect imposed on the maker.

You hit the nail on the head! Good point. It also explains why some
clones don't have a BSN...

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!