Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
CellShocked CellShocked is offline

Default how to detect host id of a computer using excel

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 19:47:04 -0800, CellShocked
<cellshocked@thecellvalueattheendofthespreadsheet. org wrote:

Intel CPUs have a unique identifier number which can be accessed though
their API. The motherboard serial number is an entirely different
animal, and BOTH numbers can be changed by way of changing either the CPU
itself, or the BIOS chip itself. some motherboards have a separate,
fixed chip which the real BIOS chip 'reads' to assign certain variables
in its operation. So, on those MOBOs, you will not change that ID
easily.

CORRECTION: (Ooops)

According to Intel, it has not been implemented since the i386.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www...ction-note.pdf

So, the BIOS ID thing is very likely the only unique identifier
mechanism for a machine.

Makes me wonder what my iPad reads when examining its underpinnings...