Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] duncan.edment@sky.com is offline

Default VLOOKUP, a table with text and numerics

Claus,

I've been having a look at it and expanding on it.

What I have is the following:

Columns
A B C D E F
Code1 Value Code2 Value Code3 Value
010101NN 140132NN 147006NN

In the value column, I'm looking to put your VLOOKUP solution however, I'm struggling with it. When I paste the solution into the various columns / rows, the "COLUMN(1:1)" function changes and goes awry. In Cell B2, it has the value "LOOKUP(1:1)" but in B3, it changes to "LOOKUP(2:2)", in B4, it becomes "LOCATION(3:3)" and so on. In Cell D2, it has the value "LOOKUP(1:1)" but again increments by one on each row.

The result of this is that it is giving me an error, namely the location function showing as "LOCATION(#REF!)" or the cell showing the value "#N/A".

I don't know why, as it works in some cells but not in others, which is making it more and more frustrating. Any help appreciated.

Duncan