Spencer101 Spencer101 is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalientAnimal View Post
Hi All...

I know somewhere I have done this before, but for some reason I am not getting the correct result.

I have a set of data, there are basically 2 columns to focus on. Time & Name.
I need to do a countif on the values that are greater than or equal to 0 if the name of a column equals a specific criteria.

E.G

A B
1 Dog 1
2 Dog -1
3 Cat 5
4 Dog 2
5 Cat -7
6 Dog 0

So when doing the calculation for dog being greater than or equal to 0 I should get 3.

I used =IF(A1:A6="Dog",(COUNTIF(B1:B6,"=0"))). This however gives me the incorrect results. When I do the calculation as show I get 4 instead of 3. It is counting all the values that are greater than or equal to 0 and not only the ones that have the word Dog in Column A.

Either of the following will do the trick.

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A6="Dog")*(B1:B6=0))

=COUNTIFS(A1:A6,"Dog",B1:B6,"=0")

COUNTIFS can only be used in Excel 2007 or later.