Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
plinius plinius is offline

Default Help. Trying to do the opposite of VLOOKUP

Il 09/11/2012 16:29, Randy Sauve ha scritto:
plinius;1607245 Wrote:
Il 09/11/2012 06:36, Randy Sauve ha scritto:-
I have a specific number X in a cell and in the column beside I have

list of data that ranges from smalles to largest. I need to find a
number in that column the is = or than X. the number should be the
closest number to X but greater.

Any ideas?

-

The number to find is in A1, rng is the list:

=INDEX(rng,IF(MATCH(A1,rng)=MATCH(A1,rng,0),MATCH( A1,rng),MATCH(A1,rng)+1))

Hi,
E.

The only problem with this is that if the closest number to A1 is
greater than 1+A1 than I get an error.

I don't understand what error occours.
That formula get the number x (the number in A1) if it exists in rng.
If it does not exist, formula get the number immediately greater then x
present in rng.