Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
joeu2004[_2_] joeu2004[_2_] is offline

Default Help needed: Minimum value based upon either/or criteria

"Mfreit" wrote:
I'm trying to find a minimum value in one column (A)
for all records in which columns B or C are equal to
a cell reference in a separate worksheet. I've tried
something like: =MIN(IF(OR(COLUMN B option, Column
C option),Column A range)). But it's only giving me
zeros which I know are not correct.

There are two potential problems:

1. Formulas of that form must be array-entered, which means you must press
ctrl+shift+Enter instead of just Enter.

2. OR() does not work as intended in formulas of that form. You want to
process row by row, but OR() will process the entire array argument, even if
the formula is array-entered.

An array-entered formula of the following form should do what you want
(press ctrl+shift+Enter instead of just Enter):

=MIN(IF((B1:B1000=Sheet2!X1)+(C1:C1000=Sheet2!X2) 0,A1:A1000))

Each comparison returns TRUE or FALSE. The arithmetic operation (plus)
converts TRUE and FALSE into 1 and 0. The above conditional expression is
zero only if both comparisons are FALSE row by row.