turnercr turnercr is offline
Junior Member

I found your forumla on here and it was very helpful. I'm doing the same thing and used your formula exactly as you posted it on here. the only problem is my data is 368,789 rows and excel freezes when I use this formula on such a large document. The forumula works properly however when I try to do anything in the document it freezes up. What I want to do is:

After the formula is done, filter column A based on color. Then I can select all visible cells from B right and manually change those colors at once. After that I can remove the formula on column A so I won't have to worry about slow-downs anymore. Any ideas on how to get this formula to work all the way down to the last row?
Thanks so much for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Valko View Post
Is this what you want:

1 = shade
1 = shade
2
3 = shade
3 = shade
3 = sahde
4
4
5 = shade
6
6
7 = shade
7 = shade

If so, assuming your data starts is in the range A2:A20

Select the range A2:A20
Goto the menu formatCondtional Formatting
Select the Formula Is option
Enter this formula in the box on the right:

=MOD(ROUND(SUMPRODUCT((A$2:A2<"")/COUNTIF(A$2:A2,A$2:A2)),0),2)

Click the Format button
Select the desired style(s)
OK out

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Natasha" wrote in message
I am using Excel 2003.
I have a spreadsheet with one-to-many relationship data. First column
contains plot numbers that repeat if more than one species of plants were
found at that plot, i.e. plot number can be repeated an unspecified number
of
times. I am trying perform a function that is similar to highlighting
every
other row, except I would like to highlight every other plot. Thanks!