Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Guillett[_2_] Don Guillett[_2_] is offline

Default Automatically sort alphabetically ignoring header

On Monday, October 15, 2012 10:48:47 AM UTC-5, EmzOLV wrote:
Hey everyone!

I am sure someone can help me on here. I found an amazing post on this

website which really helped me with getting something to work with

automatically alphabeticising a column, but something went wrong with

the previous file - it corrupted during a migration - and now it won't

work.

I'm trying to do the same thing again, but cannot find the post and I

swear I have gone through hundreds of posts on this website and the code

that I have tried each and every time isn't the same one I found before.

Here is what I would like to do:

* Alphabeticize column A on Excel, starting from A5 onwards

* When it sorts, it must keep the information on that row from columns A

- G (so when say, row 10 moves up to row 8, it doesn't just move column

A, it also moves columns B-G with it so the information is relevant).

* It automatically does this once something is entered into column A,

and either enter is hit or another box is selected

I understand that once something is entered in column A and the data is

sorted, it usually gets lost in the remainder of the spreadsheet but

this was something we worked with in the past.

Also, please note that Column A (and up to G, with the exception of two

columns) are all text based, not numeric. Not sure if this makes a

difference.

Any help is much appreciated. Currently running on Office 2010. And this

was the code I kept finding, but no matter how I amend it, it ALWAYS

takes the first 4 rows instead of starting alphabetically from the

fifth. Maybe someone could assist and let me know where I'm going wrong,

so I can learn it instead of just being told?

If Intersect(Target, Columns("A:A")) Is Nothing Then

Else

Application.EnableEvents = False

Columns("A:Z").Select

Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("A5"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess,

_

OrderCustom:=5, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _

DataOption1:=xlSortNormal

Application.EnableEvents = True

EmzOLV

If you simply record a macro doing this, wihtout header, you will see how to modify your code.