Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] lhkittle@comcast.net is offline

Default Using IF and VLOOKUP for range of cells

On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:37:37 PM UTC-7, JamesTris wrote:
Hello,

I am really new to excel and playing around with a calculator of sorts.

What I am trying to do is autofill a specific cell (C2) of a calculator.

I made a separate table on the same sheet that has 6 columns, M2:R:30.

I thought that if I could place an "x" in any cell of R2:30, I could

have a forumla look for the x and then autofill C2 with data from the

cooresponding row. So for example place "x" in R2 and the data from M2

gets populated in C2. This is what I have so far. The problem I have is

that it works by only putting the data from M2 into C2, no matter where

I place the "x" in R.

=IF(VLOOKUP("x",R2:R30,1,)="x",M2:M30," ") I also tried using HLOOKUP

and failed.

I have 4 separate cells that I would like to do this for, C2 cooresponds

to the data in M2:M30, D2 for N2:N30, C3 for O2:030, and D3 for P2:P30.

Once I get the initial formula correct I should be able to progress.

Thanks a lot and I hope what I wrote is not to confusing.

Just thought of an easier way to ask.

If I place an "x" in any cell of column R that would return the data in

the same row of column M to C2.

--

JamesTris