View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
external usenet poster

Default Find Text using VBA

On Friday, September 21, 2012 8:15:41 AM UTC-7, TIMOTHY wrote:
Dear All

I've a vast database of movies & Musics titles and i want to update the price

i have to find each text in database and stocklist since i cant vlookup it because same title can be manufactured by many other also

is there a way to find text automatically using VBA?

Hi Timothy,
This may be adaptable to your needs. In the Named Range "Data" it will search for the value you have entered into Range("G1") and upon finding that value will color the cell and move on to the next.

A couple of things... the value in G1 can be in a Data Validation drop-down list. Seems like you have a huge list to search so you may need to use more than one drop-down list. Perhaps three or four to cover the various major catigories of the entire list would be more managable. Would have to Dim additional Strings for each of the other drop-down cells.
Notice “i” is Dimmed as String and is set to Range("G1"), (Sorta falls in place with your other post asking about Dim etc.)

Additionally, just coloring the identified values in the values may not serve your purpose. If you need a list of those values we can modify the code so that when a values is found it will copy it to a column elswhere on the worksheet, then you can print it out or whatever suits.

Option Explicit
Sub PickEm()
Dim c As Range
Dim Data As Range
Dim i As String
Dim ans As String
i = Range("G1").Value

For Each c In Range("Data")
If c.Value = i Then c.Interior.ColorIndex = 24 ' 3, 20, 24
Next

ans = MsgBox("Clear color selection?", vbYesNo, "Yellar")
Select Case ans
Case vbYes
Range("Data").Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
Case vbNo
Exit Sub
End Select
End Sub

HTH
Regards,
Howard