Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ben McClave Ben McClave is offline

Default is there a macro that I can use to prepare bank rec?

Cindy,

I'm not sure from your description what you're looking for specifically. My guess is that you would like to be able to run a code that can look at a lot of small transactions to find out which ones add up to some larger transactions. If so, I don't think that macros are the way to go.

I used a similar approach to try to find four values that add up to one number, and even with a relatively small list of 50 potential values, the code could take in excess of 15 minutes to run (each additional value increased the number of possible combinations exponentially).

The way I now try to figure these things out is to add a column next to the transactions that I place an "X" in whenever I think a transaction is part of the grand total. Then, I use a SUMIF function to sum up all values where there is an "X" in the column. You could go a step further and have a target value in another cell and a variance check as well. Then, as you check off items, the SUMIF formula will update and your variance will begin to disappear.

It's not elegant, but without more information about your specific needs, it will be hard to provide much more.

Good luck,

Ben