DamienPham DamienPham is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Sorry for all the questions, but the explanation was slightly bereft of detail.

So you're looking for Type 1 if the last 6 digits contain 256 and Type 2 if the last 6 digits contain 786. What happens if neither appear in the last 6 digits?

Also, are there values for Type 3, Type 4 etc or just the 2 types?
No, no problem at all. Any information would be helpful. What I'm doing is pulling a report (through another program) that gives out a long list of serial numbers (ie. 01V42466220BH315). These serial numbers are the machines that we have out in the field. From these serial numbers, the last 6 characters will identify what type of machine it is (there are 14 types). If the numbers do not match one of the 14 types, then the machine is not serviced by our location. I have 14 point of contacts (1 for each type of machine). What I'm trying to do-- get EXCEL to read the last 6 digits of the serial number, determine what type it is, and list the point of contact for that type. So I'm pasting the serial numbers into Column A. I want Column B to read the last 6 digits of Column A and determine the type of machine it is. (Of the last six digits, only three in a specific order are important [ie. LOOK for 236 from BK2365]) Then, I would like for Column C to read the type on Column B and determine who the point of contact is.

I hope this is more clear...