Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Rebekka-Marie Rebekka-Marie is offline

Default Random Generator in Excel?

Am Montag, 20. August 2012 19:08:54 UTC+2 schrieb joeu2004:
"Rebekka-Marie" wrote:

I would like to distribute Demand randomly over 30 days.

(Possibly with a specific Demand sum overall and maybe a

stated variance in Demand changeing)

Is there a Random Generator in Excel which could help me

to do that?

Perhaps. Your description of the random distribution and stochastic process

is not clear to me. But you might take a look at the RNGs provided with the

Data Analysis tools.

Alternatively, you can craft your own RNG using RND and RANDBETWEEN

functions. Again, your RNG requirements are not clear enough for me to be

specific.

The downside is of using RND and RANDBETWEEN: they are "volatile"

functions. They change every time any cell in any worksheet in the workbook

is modified directly (edited). There are methods to avoid that or at least

mitigate the impact.

This is exactly what I need. Could you explain to me in further detail what to do for my case:

Total demand for 1 month: 150 units
Covariance: 0,5

- Distribute 80 units randomly over 30 cells.