Spencer101 Spencer101 is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm70 View Post
Hi
I am taking an online class with basic excel 2010 functions/formatting etc.. and I noticed this issue:
the worksheet for the class has a list of employees and data - salary, names, id, gender etc...

on the second sheet you learn to use sumif fxn.. so if you do it this way:
sumif(range,criteria, [sum range]) where range is the chosen by click/dragging the cells - you get one value

IN this instance we are calculating salaries of folks in "clerical" department.

HOWEVER.. the same function returns totally different numbers when you NAME the columns and use names instead of the same ranges when click/selected -- how can this be???

don't know if one can upload a sheet here.. but would be glad to do so so you could see the issue??
Hi, you can upload the sheet here if it's in a zip file and very small (less than 90k or something ridiculous like that)

If it's easier, feel free to email it to me on pubnut @ gmail . Com (without the spaces) and I'll have a look at it from there.