gptech gptech is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krmbra View Post
I have an older version of Excel I have been using. Bought a new laptop and
installed it. When I got a new version of Excel spreadsheet in an email, the
trial version of the new software that was loaded by Toshiba popped up and
took over as default Excel version. I can still use the old version through
direct loading, but everytime I click on the file in the email or windows
explorer a new version takes over )with mandatory warning about the expiry of
the trial period. How do I get the old Excel to be default again?
--
Krmbra
There are several ways to set your default and switch between the two.

1. As suggested by Gord Dibben, use regserver to set your default version
2. Right click, open with, and browse to the version of excel.exe you want to use as a default. The selected Excel version will register itself.

These work fine if you just want to set your default. But painstaking to switch back and forth.

3. Fast switching

a) Select your default using 1 or 2 above.
b) Create a batch file with the command
"C:\PathToAlternateVersion\excel.exe" %1
c) Right click an excel file, select open with, browse to the batch file

Now if you double click an excel file it will open with the default you selected. If you right click and open with you will have a choice of versions.

Last edited by gptech : August 14th 12 at 01:06 AM