Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stan Brown Stan Brown is offline

Default Date Format

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 20:08:57 +0000, ExcelSavior wrote:

I'm working on a data file that has the date input in the wrong format.
In the date column, it shows "13-Jan". The original format intention for
this text is supposed to be "yy-mm", or January 2013, but excel is
automatically reading it as "01/13/2012", and the format is set as
"dd-mm". How do I change the format or text so it reads the original
text correctly as "yy/mm" or "yyyy/mm" as opposed to "dd-mm" or
"mm/dd/yyyy"?

Highlight the cells in question and press Ctrl-1 to open the Format
Cells dialog. On the Number tab, select Date. If none of the
formats there is what you want, select Custom and you can type in
your exact format.

Unfortunately Excel doesn't seem to give any way to set the default
date format fr new workbooks, so for every single workbook we have to
format date cells manually unless we like Excel's own choice.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...