Spencer101 Spencer101 is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunalz View Post
I'm an undergraduate student trying to create a formula so that whenever I put in my alphabet semester's exams grades, those letters will be "converted" to as number values to make calculations possible (please see the attachment for the explanations).

I know I could directly input the grades as values but, rather frequently, me and my friends end up inputting wrong grade values (and sometimes the whole calculations). I just wanted to easily input the letters, and let Excel will calculate it for me.

I don't think "VLOOKUP" or "COUNTIF" will be of help since I will keep dealing with different numbers everytime, though I could be well wrong; I'm no expert :(
Here's one way. See attached.
It relies on the table being sorted the other way round, so lowest points at the top and highest at the bottom.

It uses CHOOSE() to complete a "left lookup" and a "nearest match" to give the correct grade without having to have the exact score.

Let me know if that helps.

S.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bunalz example.zip (3.8 KB, 58 views)