Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
joeu2004[_2_] joeu2004[_2_] is offline

Default List all combinations of 6/36 with unique 4 numbers

"Martin-888" wrote:
It is part of a lottery strategy, but it does imply buying
all the 320 combinations [...], therefore guaranteeing at
least one win of the 4 out of 6 prize.

Sounds like a scam.

Please provide a URL (http://...) for the website that describes the
strategy or offers the product.

Also, please provide a URL (http://...) for the particular lottery.

"Martin-888" wrote:
I'm not very good in math, but since there is 1 chance
out of 320, it made me believe that there was many groups
of 320 combinations.

No. For example, there are 6525 ways (tickets) of matching exactly 4 out of
6 numbers drawn. That translates into about a 1 in 298.5 chance of matching
exactly 4, since there are 1,947,792 possible drawings (tickets) of 6 out of
36 numbers.

I still do not understand where 320 comes from. That is why I would like
the URLs that I requested above. They probably don't explain the math
directly. But they might have information that I can use to intuit the
computation.

For now, I stand by my finding that you would have to buy 2240 tickets in
order to be sure to match at least 4 of 6.

Of course, that makes sense to do only if the payout for matching exactly 4
is more than $2240, assuming $1 per ticket. (And of course, by "$", I mean
whatever your currency is.)

I suspect you will find that the payout is much smaller. Otherwise,
everyone would be doing this.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is".

"Martin-888" wrote:
In my 4 out of 6 unique combinations, the 4 out of 6 has
to be completely unique

[....]
Is this how you first understood my question

Yes. You can download the file "uniq 4 from 6 of 36.xls" from
https://www.box.com/s/2a361ad6de78e8f4865e.

Columns A and B are somewhat configurable by changing A1, A2 and A3.
However, the table starting at A11 might need to be adjusted manually.

The macro that generates the results in columns D through I is hardwired for
the particular parameters that you mentioned, namely: drawing 6 of 36
numbers, and generating all combinations with unique sets of 4 numbers.

I hardwired the numbers in order to ensure the best performance.

The worksheet and macro might not be very self-explanatory. Let me know if
you have any questions or comments.