Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
N Lee[_2_] N Lee[_2_] is offline

Default How to retrieve number of visible digits after decimal point in VBA

Thanks for the response, but it's not quite the answer to my question. That will tell me how many decimal places are in a Double, but I want to find how many decimal places are DISPLAYED in a cell. All of my cell VALUES are doubles, but they may be displayed with 0, 2, or 4 decimal places.

Even so, it's a clever bit of code. I think I'm going to make myself a custom function with that which could come in handy for a future project.

Nathan

On Friday, July 13, 2012 3:47:05 PM UTC-4, isabelle wrote:
hi Nathan,

Sub Macro1()
Dim n As Double, itg As Integer, dcm As Double
n = 98.7654321
itg = Int(n)
dcm = Split(n - itg, ".")(1)

isabelle

Le 2012-07-13 13:43, N Lee a �crit :
> Greetings:
>
> Not sure if there's a way to do it, but someone might have a good idea. I want to retrieve the number of visible decimals

in a cell as an integer.

> For instance, a cell has a value of 98.7654321, and displays as 98.8 because its NumberFormat is "#,##0.0_);(#,##0.0)".

This should return '1'.

> A cell with a value of 87.6543212 would display as 88 if the value is zero.
>
> I'm NOT asking how to format a cell to show a certain number of decimals. I already know how to do that by setting the NumberFormat.

I want to know how to retrieve as an integer the number of decimals that are being displayed.