View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  

Default Cut Numbers Problem

Not exactly new to Excel but since retiring 5 yrs ago everything I knew (which wasn't much) has gone out the back door. I have researched this site and seen this question pop up in many ways but none of the solutions given work for what I am trying to do. So I will explain what I am doing and maybe that will help.

Here is what I am trying to do.

I listen to shortwave radio. I copy cut number Morse code stations. Cut numbers are numbers that have been shortened so it doesn't take as much time to send them. To cut a long story short (pun intended) short letters are used to represent numbers. Example:

A=1 N=2 D=3 U=4 W=5 R=6 I=7 G=8 M=9 T=0 (Those letters are chosen because they are short and easy to send.)

So to send the five number group 87390
I would send GIDMT

So as I sit at my desk in front of my radio copying these numbers (always in groups of five) it looks like this.

AMITU RIMWD NIMTA UNDWR TIWDA (and so on)

By now you have guessed where I am going. I want to copy five letters per cell, hit tab and copy the next five letters.......then when finished or even as I type I want the letters to convert to the numbers they represent.

Thanks for helping if you can. By the way, do you think this could be done in MS Word instead of Excel?

GER9999