Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,microsoft.public.excel.programming,comp.apps.spreadsheets,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel
Snit[_5_] Snit[_5_] is offline

Default Correct process for creating a linear trend line in Excel

On 6/18/12 9:33 PM, in article
, "Onion
Knight" wrote:

On Jun 15, 11:22*pm, "joeu2004" wrote:

I see no missing steps in creating the linear trendline per se using Excel.

Thank you for your assistance. CC has since admitted that he ****ed up
his process and thought the data that showed the change in trends from
2011 to 2012 was bad data. He has now admitted he can't show this and
that Snit was right.

Now now... cc admitted he did not see the trend and insisted the data was
somehow wrong (could not be his model, of course), but he never came right
out and admitted the obvious - he screwed up. He also never decided if he
agreed with me about the downward trend or thought the usage was always at
1%:

cc #1:
-----
It will be 1%. Same as it ever was.
-----
cc #2:
-----
Linux has been on a significant downward trend since then.
-----
And if you look at January and then look at now, then there
is a downward trend.
-----

He will not admit he is wrong no matter how contradictory and erroneous his
claims are. The facts a

1) cc was wrong to say I missed steps in the creation of a linear trend line
in Excel. I did no such thing.

2) cc was wrong to claim the incorrect depictions I showed him of sigma
lines were, in fact, incorrect. But they were.

3) cc was wrong to say I was pushing the correlations I noted as being proof
of the causation I had spoken of earlier. I did no such thing.

4) cc was wrong to deny the fact that on a depiction of a normal
distribution you can visually see where the sigma lines should be drawn
based on the distance from the mean (specifically, the distance from the
mean to the inflection points).

5) cc was wrong to deny I showed an upward trend in Linux usage, based on
the data we were both using. The upward trend was in the latter half of
2011: <http://goo.gl/NhFuK.

There is no reasoned debate about any of these facts.

Your input was helpful in leading CC to this obvious conclusion.
Meanwhile Steve is using a so many socks he has admitted he can't list
them all. Turns out both pretty much knew they were talking out their
asses and that Snit was right all along.

Yup. But interesting to watch the two of them stumble over themselves and
each other to try to "prove" this wrong... without ever being able to do so.

--
The indisputable facts about that absurd debate: <http://goo.gl/2337P
cc being proved wrong about his stats BS: <http://goo.gl/1aYrP