Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,microsoft.public.excel.programming,comp.apps.spreadsheets,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel
Snit[_5_] Snit[_5_] is offline

Default Correct process for creating a linear trend line in Excel

On 6/15/12 7:54 PM, in article
, "Onion
Knight" wrote:

On Jun 15, 11:22*pm, "joeu2004" wrote:
"Onion Knight" wrote:
There has been some debate in COLA as to the correct way
to create a linear trendline in Excel. Someone in the forum
kindly made a video to show what he thought was the correct
method
http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/Lin...neCreation.mov
[....]
Does anyone see any missing steps for the creation of a
linear trend line?

I cannot find the original debate in comp.os.linux.advocacy (COLA); just the
thread titled "Visualizing where to draw the standard deviation line", which
refers to yet-another "a debate in COLA".

No matter; I'm not interested. *I think we can answer your Excel questions
without getting into anything so esoteric.

I see no missing steps in creating the linear trendline per se using Excel.

Thank you for your posting of this educated opinion, even though it
broke Steve. He is now running around screaming about how I and
anyone else who agreed with Snit on this must be Snit's sock puppets.
Give it a little time and he will insist you must be Snit as well.

I wonder what his max has been? I am sure it has been at least three people
at once he was claiming were me. He is obsessed with me. It is whacky.

This matter is settled. Snit was right to say his process was fine
and cc and Carroll who argued against him were wrong. Snit's linear
trendline was created without flaw. This was obvious from the start
but it is good to get a more educated and impartial stating of it. Fun
to watch Steve crumble as he reads it too.

Agreed. Now let's let it drop - at least from the non-COLA groups. And,
really, even from the COLA groups.

Carroll and cc will run around making up stories about how people from all
groups on Usenet are me and will insist that these folks who know more than
they do are just wrong or missing the point or will hunt for some point to
nit pick. Meanwhile the facts will remain the same:

* My process for creating trend lines in Excel was correct.
* My prediction of an increase in usage of Linux was correct for 2011
* My prediction of Linux usage staying at that level or increasing
in 2012 has turned out to *not* be correct.

And with all the other stuff about sigma lines and incorrect depictions and
yada yada yada I was right and they were simply trolling me.

And it is easy to predict their trolling will only increase now that others
have commented on these matters. Their frenzy will be a sight to behold.

--
The indisputable facts about that absurd debate: <http://goo.gl/2337P
cc being proved wrong about his stats BS: <http://goo.gl/1aYrP