Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
James Ravenswood James Ravenswood is offline

Default Compile Error:Variable not defined

On Saturday, May 19, 2012 11:57:11 AM UTC-4, Seth J. Turok wrote:
I am an ultra novice and am trying to teach myself VBA using "Excel
VBA Programming for Dummies". I have attempted to insert some of the
sample code provided in the book. I appear to get the same error
message when I execute the code, “compile error: variable not
defined”. The two examples I have used are below. I was hoping you
might be able to tell me what I am doing incorrectly. Thank you.

EXAMPLE 1

Sub GuessName()
Msg = "Is your name " & Application.UserName & "?"
Ans = MsgBox(Msg, vbYesNo)
If Ans = vbNo Then MsgBox "Oh, never mind."
If Ans = vbYes Then MsgBox "I must be clairvoyant!"
End Sub

Example 2

Answer = MsgBox("Convert formulas to values?", vbYesNo)
If Answer < vbYes Then Exit Sub

Selection.Copy
SkipBlanks _
:=False, Transpose:=False
Application.CutCopyMode = False

make sure you try them in molules:

Macros are very easy to install and use:

1. ALT-F11 brings up the VBE window
2. ALT-I
ALT-M opens a fresh module
3. paste the stuff in and close the VBE window

If you save the workbook, the macro will be saved with it.

To remove the macro:

1. bring up the VBE window as above
2. clear the code out
3. close the VBE window

To use the macro from Excel:

1. ALT-F8
2. Select the macro
3. Touch RUN

To learn more about macros in general, see: