Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mouser mouser is offline

Default 255 truncation

On Fri, 18 May 2012 13:33:24 -0400, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

On Fri, 18 May 2012 13:03:36 -0400, GS wrote:

By default, Excel's limit for copy/paste operations is 255 characters.
To work around this I usually enter EditMode (F2) to paste data copied
from web pages (or any other content containing html/php). Sometimes,
I'll paste in Notepad first, then edit as required, then copy/paste to
a cell AFTER entering EditMode.

Any sheets being copied also lose any characters beyond the 255 limit.

I believe there is something different going on, because there seems to be a great deal of variability in the results of copy/paste operations when the source is a web page. There's clearly something I am not understanding.

If I navigate to that page using FireFox, select "all", then copy/paste into Excel, everything gets pasted in: although as text all on one line; but it is almost 6000 characters.
If I try this from IE9, I get a one line string of 521 characters. However, if I paste into a single cell, I get a string of 5555 characters.
If I "view source" in IE, and select all/copy/paste into Excel, I get 118 lines with 6216 characters.
If I do the same but paste it into a single cell in Excel, I see a string with 6388 characters.

I agree - and as I said - I think that something has changed recently.

I had a set of macros which worked fine. I did a totally clean install of W7,
IE9, and Excel 2007 and the macros stopped working.

When I investigated further I found that I could not even do the operation
manually.

(Sorry - what is difference between 3rd and 4th example - what is active cell
in 3rd - or do you mean Word ?)