Spencer101 Spencer101 is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardirect View Post
It appears that the INDIRECT function only works when both files are open. I have tried to reference both filename.xlsx and the full address 'C:\dir\filename.xlsx. Both work as long as the file is open; as soon as you close the referenced file, and recalculate the worksheet with the formula, it returns a #REF! error.

I can't force users to open the other file, so I need a solution that will work when it is closed. Anyone know a way other than INDIRECT, or perhaps I am missing something in the way INDIRECT works?
Your original post didn't specify that the second file would be closed. Just that sort of information that makes the difference between getting a right answer and a wrong one!

I think you'll have to go down the route of "custom functions".
Have a quick search for "INDIRECT.EXT" for some further information. I've not tried it myself so cannot guarantee it will work for your particular conundrum....