Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
gary gary is offline

Default Inserting subtotals very slow

On Jan 24, 8:23*pm, GS wrote:
gary formulated the question :

On Jan 24, 5:23*pm, "Auric__" wrote:
gary wrote:
My Excel 2007 spreadsheet looks like this:
parcel * *type * * *tax * *penalty * *cost
123 * * *0000 * *10.00 * *1.50 * *30.00
234 * * *2345 * * 5.55 * * * .55 * *10.00
356 * * *5040 * 11.11 * * 1.12 * * *3.00
945 * * *2145 * * 7.00 * * * .70 * * *1.50
(It has 135,000 different parcels)

When the parcel changes, I need subtotals for the tax, penalty and
cost.

After 30 minutes, subtotals have been inserted for only 15,000
parcels. *At this rate, it'll take almost 5 hours to complete.
Is there any way to speed up the subtotalling?

Are the taxes, penalties, and costs generated programmatically, or entered
by hand from somewhere else?

--
Yes, I'm quoting myself. I'm just that important.- Hide quoted text -

The amoujnts are manually entered into the cells.

Sorry but I just have to ask...

Are the subtotals for each parcel? If so, why doesn't the sheet calc
this automatically when/as amounts are entered? Are the subtotals for
the tax/penalty/cost columns? If so, why doesn't the sheet calc this
automatically when/as amounts are entered?

--
Garry

Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org
ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc- Hide quoted text -

The parcels, types and amounts were imported into the Excel 2007
spreadsheet from a text file.
Now, I need to get each the subtotals of each parcel's tax, penalty
and cost amounts
I began the subtotaling process over 3 hours ago. At the bottom of
the spreadsheet, the green "Inserting Subtotals" "progress bar" is
only half way across the bar. At that rate, it'll take another 4
hours or so before all the subtotals have been inserted into the
spreasheet.