Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default Delete matching cells

on 1/16/2012, Jim Cone supposed :
Garry,
It may turn out to be one of those days, especially if the snow sticks.

I plugged in a new set of sample data into xl2010 this morning.
It appears that your code is returning mismatched items... items in col A
that are not in Col B.
But it is not eliminating duplicates.
Column A has 360,000 random 6 digit numbers.
Column B has 240,000 random 6 digit numbers.

Ron's code returns 231,414 unique entries.
Your code returns 279,200 entries: 231,514 unique and 47,686 duplicates.
(i ran my own unique counter on your returned data)

It's too early in the day for me to try to figure out why. <g
'---
Regards,
Jim Cone

"GS"

wrote in message
Ron Rosenfeld wrote :

Thanks, Jim. Can you run my final version on your sample data and report
back. I'd be curious to know the results. I'm running XP SP3 and did the
test in xl2007. Thanks in advance...

-- Garry

"GS" wrote in message ...
Jim Cone explained on 1/15/2012 :
Garry,
More FWIW...
I ran Ron's code on my XP, i3 machine (xl2007) against 600,000 6 digit
random numbers.
360,000 in col A and 240,000 in col B. It took about 7 1/2 seconds.
It returned ~87000 numbers not in col B.
'---
Jim Cone

Jim,
Ron explains the what/why of my version of the task fairly well. What
I'm more interested in is how long it took on your machine to process
the same amount of data as when you ran Ron's version.

--
Garry