Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default ADOBE Connection to open Excel workbook

Not sure this will help but...

I use the JET ADODB provider in XL11 and earlier versions of Excel, the
ACE ADODB provider in XL12 and later versions. I don't know what a
Query uses but I assume Excel 12 and later will substitute the provider
engine in the earlier file with its ACE provider. In any case, there
should not be a row limitation in the later versions, but I expect
issues to appear trying to open a later version file in an early
version of Excel where the rows limitation exists, AND the early
version has no idea what the ACE provider is. AFAIK, early version
queries should continue to work in the later versions BUT NOT the other
way around!

Regardless, if you have tables with that many records then you're using
the wrong format for storing the data. While doable in Excel workbooks
it's NOT practical since a proper database file is readily available in
the same MSO suite. Also, you don't have to physically open workbooks
being used as data tables using ADO. You can load a table (worksheet)
into a recordset and work with it same as if it was in a db file.

--
Garry