Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
michael beckinsale michael beckinsale is offline

Default ADOBE Connection to open Excel workbook

Hi All,

Windows 7 64 Bit, Office 2007 32 Bit, All updates for Windows & Office
installed.

I have am building a reasonably complex workbook in which an sql query
is run on a sheet within the same workbook. I have used the connection
string below and l am led to believe that this is the latest version
which supports Excel 2007 & 2010 and removes the limitations of the
65536 rows / records.

ADODB.Connection.Open "driver={Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls,
*.xlsx,*.xlsm,*.xlsb)};driverid=1046;dbq=MyExcelFi le.xlsm;"

On my home computer where l developed the solution everything runs
perfectly. On my colleagues laptop which has EXACTLY the same software
installed (we have both checked the software version numbers several
times) Excel crashes when the recordset exceeds 65536 rows! It would
appear that the only difference in the 2 machines is the amount of ram
available. The machine working has 16gb the machine not working only
has 2gb. However l believe that Excel 32 bit is restricted to 2gb
anyway.

The data source files are xl2003 but to overcome the issue that Excel
interprets this data as xl2003 data the whole workbook in which the
qery exists is saved as a xl2010 file before executing the query.
Anyway this doesn't answer why it should work on 1 machine but not
another.

Anybody got any idea's, this has really got me stumped!

Regards

Michael