Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Auric__ Auric__ is offline

Default 2000 - 2007: gotchas?

GS wrote:

Auric__ pretended :
I've acquired a copy of Office 2007. Up to now, I've been using Office
2000. As far as VBA goes, are there any major "gotchas" I need to be
aware of? Or should my 2000 code "just work" under 2007? (Specifically
Excel; I don't usually program for the rest of the Office suite, but I
program the hell out of Excel.)

Given the support for backward compatibility that XL12 has, your XL9
projects will work just fine. My first VBA projects were XL9 and they
still work in XL12. I don't service those early projects much anymore,
but later editions have been upgraded to make use of Excel's evolving
features/functionality.

However, there's a lot of changes beyond XL9 that you'll most likely
WANT to code for so your projects can take advantage of the newer
features and functionality.

I'll probably want it to still work under 2000, since I have multiple copies
of that, but only one copy of 2007. (If necessary, I will use the methods
from the current "Compiling Error in Earlier Version of Excel" thread, but I
don't expect to need to.)

The only 'gotcha' I encountered was dictator apps no longer replacing
the menubar since it was replaced by the Ribbon. Another 'gotcha' is
that XL12+ doesn't support 'floating' toolbars and so you'll need to
rework how to handle those if your projects use them. All custom
toolbars/menus will be allocated to the Addins tab of the Ribbon. You
may want to make your own custom tabs or manipulate the Ribbon to suit
your project needs. In this case, I strongly recommend Ron De Brun's
MSO Ribbon solutions.

As it happens, my VBA in Excel deals almost exclusively with number crunching
and displaying the results. What little remains typically deals with
crunching non-numeric data, custom sorting, and the like, and *nothing* of
mine involves custom menus, toolbars, etc. Not even forms. (I don't even make
custom whatevers for my own use.)

Best wishes in your endeavours...

Same to you, sir.

--
This is between us and the chickens, Ma'am,
and I'm going to ask real nicely that you stay out of it.