Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Harald Staff[_2_] Harald Staff[_2_] is offline

Default Read .TXT file line by line?

Hej Charlotte E.

Tricket er Line input:

Sub test()
Dim Linje As String, Avsn() As String
Dim iFnum As Integer
iFnum = FreeFile
Open "C:\Temp\Fil.Txt" For Input As #iFnum
While Not EOF(iFnum)
Line Input #iFnum, Linje
'eksempel "some action":
Avsn = Split(Linje, " ")
Debug.Print Avsn(0)
Wend
Close #iFnum
End Sub

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Charlotte E." wrote in message
How to read a .TXT-file line by line?

I would like to read the first line of the .TXT-file,
Perform some action on the read data (the .TXT-line)

Read the next line - perform some action
Read the next line - perfom the action again
etc...

Until all lines of the .TXT-file is read, and the action is performed on
all lines (imported data)

My problem is that I have a HUGE .TXT-file of almost 3.000.000 lines!!!
I'm aware that going through all these lines, one-by-one, will probably
take a week or so, so I have to make my first test-program read a smaller
file, until I'm sure it is working.

But, how to read the file, line by line, in the first place, since I can't
import such a huge file in my trusty old XL2003?

Oh, I case you wonder what the 'action' is, I want to remove those lines
in the .TXT-file that doens't fullfill certain criteria, thus (hopefully
:-) ending up with a .TXT-file of only approx. 105.000 lines, which then
can be converted into a webtable.

Thanks in advance...

CE