Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
salgud salgud is offline

Default Open a GroupWise .NAB File

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:31:23 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

Use Application.GetOpenFileName instead and pass the resulting filename
chosen by the user to your subroutine.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I'm not making myself clear here, because I
think this approach has the same problem. When I open the .NAB file, XL
_automatically_ begins the file conversion routine, first asking what type
of delimiter is being used, then continues with 2 other dialog boxes to
fill to define how to convert the file. I can't start, or stop, a macro
once this process begins until it is done. So I can't open the .NAB file,
then do anything except fill in the blanks telling XL how to do the
conversion. So I can't run the macro to pass the filename until that is
done. I can still run the routine to clean up the columns and create the
column headers afterwards, but I can't automate the conversion process
settings unless I can intervene when the .NAB file is opened and before the
auto conversion process begins. Does that make it any clearer? Does anyone
have any suggestions, or is this just not doable?

I have no idea about the internal structure of a .NAB file so this may
or may not be helpful. The way that I open structured text files with
VBA in Excel is

Workbooks.OpenText filename:=filename, _
Origin:=xlWindows, StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlDelimited, _
TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, _
Tab:=True, Semicolon:=False, Comma:=True, Space:=False, Other:=False

Obviously you have to set the various parameters to whatever your
strange file requires and the conversion then proceeds automatically.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Thanks, Martin! I can't wait to try this - I'm pretty sure just looking at
it that this is what I am looking for. Will post after I get a chance to
test it.