Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Ron Rosenfeld[_2_] Ron Rosenfeld[_2_] is offline

Default Excel 2010/2007 - How much can be done with Custom Validation?

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 09:10:55 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

(Posting to programming group because my instincts tell me code would be required...)

I think your instincts are correct.

Your "raw" list includes duplicate state abbreviations, which is not ideal for selecting the state from a drop-down.

You could do this with multiple lists, where selecting the second list is dependent on the first list, but in subsequent posts it doesn't sound as if you want to do that.

The only other option I am aware of would have you generate unique validation lists "on the fly" and that would require VBA.