Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default How to parse text in a cell

Rob wrote on 9/2/2011 :
I have a ranking report where the user selects a sort basis from a
drop-down control.

In one cell I spell out what the sort basis is using the following
formula:

="Retailer sort based on: "&list!A26

where the sort basis is listed in cell list!A26

And looks like this: Retailer sort based on: Sales Rate Index

However I prefer the appearance to be like this:
Retailer sort based on:
Sales Rate Index

In the days of Lotus I used the "^" to separate the text...but for the
life of me cannot figure a simple way to do this in Excel.

Any ideas?

TIA

Rob

Depending on where you want to enter a new line, while typing your
formula use 'Alt+Enter' to insert the new line at the desired position.
It looks like you want the second line to 'appear' indented and so...

="Retailer sort based on:<Alt+Enter "&list!A26

...where you use the keyboard combination AFTER ":", followed by 2
spaces and the closing double quote character.

--
Garry