Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Don Guillett[_2_] Don Guillett[_2_] is offline

Default Finding a Value Between Two Numbers and Returning Corresponding Value

On Aug 19, 1:56*pm, Pete_UK wrote:
Try this in B25:

=INDEX(B$1:B$20,MATCH($A25,$A$1:$A$20)+1))

It can be copied across if you have other numbers in column C etc that
you want to return.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 19, 7:04*pm, cardan wrote:

I have a question I was hoping someone could help me with.

I have column of numbers in ascending order, of about 20 or so rows.
The numbers ascend sporadically ie, say column A1:A20 *the numbers
start … 1, 5, 13, 20, 25…..
In the next column over (B1:B20), I have other numbers, that are
random (but more or less ascending) 3.5, 6, 7.5, 11.86, 20.76….

In Cell A25, I have an input number that is somewhere between the
numbers in Column A. For example 12. *I am trying to write a formula
that will search the range in column A and will recognize the input of
12 is in between the 5 and 13 and then return the value in Column B
that is on the same row of the 13. (ie the max value between the 5 and
13).
I know there is a formula out there and I am trying to avoid VBA and
also trying to avoid an array function-if possible

I hope I have explained this correctly. Please let me know if I need
to clarify. Thank you in advance.- Hide quoted text -

If you ask for 12 with this formula you will get the higher figure.