Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default Compare and highlight differences in 2 worksheets in same workbook and list differences in 3rd worksheet

Walter Briscoe pretended :
In message of Sat, 13 Aug 2011 19:18:33 in
microsoft.public.excel.programming, Jim Cone
writes

Download from... http://www.mediafire.com/?ytuty9hk5rts34q
It is a copy of your workbook with a comparison of the two sheets.
It was done using my XL Companion Excel add-in.

Jim,
Please blow your trumpet. I see you offer a 3 week trial.
What does the software do? I downloaded XLCompanion.zip and had a look.
What does a license cost? XL Companion Read Me.doc seems to be written
in a clever fashion so Ctrl-F does not work; nor does text selection. ;)

I have two known unsatisfied needs for Excel:

1) A means of dumping VBA variables TO A TEXT FILE. (I have lots of
tools which handle text files.) Visual Basic Editor's View/Locals window
shows the information I want, but not in a convenient format. Ctrl-A and
Ctrl-C support would probably give me much of what I want;

Can you elaborate more on this? How are the variables declared? (ie:
scope, type, udt...)

Have you looked at using VB's Put/Get functions?

2) Deep comparison. I get workbooks from a company, but have no access
to any technical people.
The latest workbooks are flawed. (Text does not fit in a textbox.)
I want to compare a good textbox and a bad textbox at the VBA level.
If I can analyse the flaw, there is a small chance it will be fixed.
I downloaded XLCompanion.zip, read it only compares cells and infer it
does not fill my need. ;(

I continue to use Excel 2003.

I would value suggestions of products likely to support those needs!

P.S. I wrote a simple shape-dump routine (showing Left, Top, Height,
Width, TextFrame.Characters.Font(FontStyle, Name, Size) and
TextFrame.Characters), but it showed nothing.
TextFrame.Characters.Text limits itself to 255 characters.
This code seems to grab it all - only tested to 321!
With V.TextFrame
For I = 1 To .Characters.Count Step 255
S = S & .Characters(Start:=I).Text ' Text limit is 255
Next I
End With
It took me a little while to deduce that code after googling.
The hard thing was placing that "Start:=I".
Somebody may find the snippet useful. ;)

--
Garry