Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
[email protected] susan.m.beebe@monsanto.com is offline

Default Match based on a lookup and then flag

I have 2 sheets. 1 sheet has 3 columns of data, the other has 3
also. 1 of the columns in each sheet contains the same information.
I need to do a lookup from sheet1 to sheet 2, based on the column in
common and then update the row in sheet 1 with the data from sheet 2.
It sounds like an easy vlookup, however, in each sheet there are
multiple occurences of the data in the column in common, but I need to
put the various pieces of data from sheet 2 into the rows in sheet 1.

For example:

sheet
1
Sheet2
Col1 Col2 Col3
Col1 Col2 Col3
A01 23456 123-1
292-1 ABC P000123
A02 23456 123-1
176-1 DEF P000124
A03 23456 123-1
292-1 GHI P000145
A04 23456 123-1
123-1 JKL P000654
B01 23456 176-1
123-1 MNO P000754
B02 12345 292-1
123-1 PQR P000275
B03 12345 292-1
292-1 STU P000198
B04 12345 292-1
123-1 VWX P000175

I need to be able to match sheet1.col3 to sheet2.col1 and have a
unique value from sheet2.col3 be used and not repeated.

The eventual output that I need is

Col1 and col3 from sheet 1 and col 3 from sheet 2 in a single sheet.

sheet 3 - Final result
Col1 Col2 Col3
A01 123-1 P000175
A02 123-1 P000654