Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Count tokens in a string

However, if you cannot be sure of this...

TokenCount = 1 + UBound(Split(WorksheetFunction.Trim(myVar)))

Hi Rick. This is a good solution. However, do you know if this code
can be transfered to MS Word VBA as well?? I'm not sure if
Word VBA uses the "WorksheetFunction" reference or not.

I don't program in Word, so I don't know for sure, but I would doubt it. Ron
seems more sure of this, so I will yield to his response. However, if you
don't want to set a reference to Excel, I would expect the following code to
work just fine in Word for the case where you are not sure of the number of
spaces between words...

Do While InStr(myVar, " ")
myVar = Replace(myVar, " ", " ")
Loop
TokenCount = 1 + UBound(Split(Trim(myVar)))

You should copy/paste the above rather than retype it so you don't miss the
double spaces between the first sets of quotes in the first two statements
(the second set of quotes contain only a single space).

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)