Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tim Childs[_4_] Tim Childs[_4_] is offline

Default Name vs FullName

Hi Dave

as you say Excel does not normally permit those square brackets

any ideas on the perverse behaviour of Name / FullName

many thanks for the response

Tim

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Excel doesn't like those square brackets in filenames. Heck, it doesn't
like those square brackets in sheet names, either.

If you write a formula that refers to a range in another worksheet in a
different workbook, you'll see that excel wraps the filename in those
square brackets.

I do my best to remove them from the filename before doing anything within
excel.

And I don't like the # sign in filenames either (if you're fixing names).
That character in the filename will break hyperlinks to that file.

On 04/15/2011 15:25, Tim Childs wrote:
Hi

I have discovered that when I download a CSV file, that always contains a
"]",
from the work financial system, the previous Application Event trapping
of the
form Wb.Name includes the "]" character no longer traps the the file even
though
the actual filename still contains a "]". The Wb.Name now converts the
square
bracket "]"to a round bracket ")".

What is really odd is that if I use the Wb.FullName property the "]" is
included
in the string Wb.FullName and so I can trap the "]" that way.

My question is why is the Wb.Name property no longer properly reflects
the
actual filename (any more).

Any help most welcome.

Tim