Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Charlotte E[_2_] Charlotte E[_2_] is offline

Default Change ActivePrinter?

Sigh, ..I guess as long as Windows persists as THE popular OS platform for
my clients, I'm stuck having to work with whatever my clients want.<g

It's not really want your clients want, is it?!?
It's want Microsoft forces upon your clients - everybody hates ribbons, but
since Microsoft loves it, we're stuck with it...

Actually had XL2007 installed for 6 month, trying to force myself into
learing to use it - finally, after those 6 months, I gave up - it simply
took me too loog to find things, that I could find in a micro second on XL
2003.

I guess that those who really don't care about the ribbons are those using
mostly hotkeys, since the hotkeys are more or less the same on both systems.

But, I'm a mouse person myself, and I hate spending my time searching those
#?&?& ribbons for functions that should be right there....

And, also, menus and toolbars is MUCH MUCH easier to work with in VBA!

So, the day I can no longer use menu and toolbar based Excel, I find another
spreadsheet, that are using these....

CE

"GS" wrote in message ...
Charlotte E used his keyboard to write :
All users of this macro has "Adobe PDF" :-)

PS: And I'm still using XL2003 - at least until the day there's no other
choice - then I switch to "Open Office" or another menu/toolbar based
spreadsheet - ribbons is a HUGE step backwards, and not even remotely as
flexible and userfriendly!

And, if they start using ribbons in Windows itself - as rumored: Linux,
here I come!!!

CE

"GS" wrote in message
Thanks for clarifying! I suspected that's what you were doing but wasn't
sure.

And what do you do if there is no Adobe PDF printer? In v2003 and
earlier I've been prompting users to change to the PDF printer of their
choosing when they click a menuitem to print to PDF. This obviates any
need to set ActivePrinter. In v2007+ we can execute the Home menuitem
and let the user configure the output.

-- Garry

Hi Charlotte,

Well, I will say that I agree with you about the ribbon. I don't have much
problem with it now, though, since the only tab my apps use when running
in XL12+ is the Addins tab, where I have all the menus just as in earlier
versions. (In fact, I use the same XLA)

The Addins tab is the only one that displays because my apps are
configured to run in automated instances rather than the user's default
instance, and so I lock it right down to only allow access to what my apps
need.

When MSO12 first came out with the ribbon I was really disappointed with
M$ for doing that. So much so that I decided to make all my XL addins
standalone Windows apps using VB6 and FarPoint's Spread.OCX. (It's nice
that we can use 3rd party components and make our own spreadsheet apps
that run outside MSO<bg)

Also at the time, I was driven to look closely at OpenOffice. That would
be a good alternative to MSO for now, but I'm waiting to see what unfolds
for x64.

--
Garry