Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GS[_2_] GS[_2_] is offline

Default Change ActivePrinter?

Charlotte E used his keyboard to write :
All users of this macro has "Adobe PDF" :-)

PS: And I'm still using XL2003 - at least until the day there's no other
choice - then I switch to "Open Office" or another menu/toolbar based
spreadsheet - ribbons is a HUGE step backwards, and not even remotely as
flexible and userfriendly!

And, if they start using ribbons in Windows itself - as rumored: Linux, here
I come!!!

CE

"GS" wrote in message ...
Thanks for clarifying! I suspected that's what you were doing but wasn't
sure.

And what do you do if there is no Adobe PDF printer? In v2003 and earlier
I've been prompting users to change to the PDF printer of their choosing
when they click a menuitem to print to PDF. This obviates any need to set
ActivePrinter. In v2007+ we can execute the Home menuitem and let the user
configure the output.

-- Garry

Hi Charlotte,

Well, I will say that I agree with you about the ribbon. I don't have
much problem with it now, though, since the only tab my apps use when
running in XL12+ is the Addins tab, where I have all the menus just as
in earlier versions. (In fact, I use the same XLA)

The Addins tab is the only one that displays because my apps are
configured to run in automated instances rather than the user's default
instance, and so I lock it right down to only allow access to what my
apps need.

When MSO12 first came out with the ribbon I was really disappointed
with M$ for doing that. So much so that I decided to make all my XL
addins standalone Windows apps using VB6 and FarPoint's Spread.OCX.
(It's nice that we can use 3rd party components and make our own
spreadsheet apps that run outside MSO<bg)

Also at the time, I was driven to look closely at OpenOffice. That
would be a good alternative to MSO for now, but I'm waiting to see what
unfolds for x64.

Sigh, ..I guess as long as Windows persists as THE popular OS platform
for my clients, I'm stuck having to work with whatever my clients
want.<g

--
Garry