Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
SQLUser SQLUser is offline

Default Cells drop leading zeros from numbers

On Apr 11, 9:31*pm, GS wrote:
SQLUser pretended :

On Apr 11, 5:14 pm, GS wrote:
SQLUser formulated on Monday :

Is there a way of having the cell automatically have the 0000000# in
the Custom format when the spreadsheet is launched?

Not normally, but you could make a template (XLT) with the formatting
(along with whatever else) already set up how you want. Then just reuse
the template and do 'SaveAs' to store it as a XLS.

--
Garry

Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org

The 0000000# works a number, but if the original value is 0555AA.
Then placed into EXCEL, the value goes to 555AA.

Is there a way of placing the 0 in front of 555AA like the 00000# does
for
a number?

Mike

Entering '0555AA' into a cell formatted as 'General' displays as
"0555AA" on my machine. As Gord states, Excel sees this as text as soon
as you enter the first alpha (non-numeric) character. Why would you say
Excel would drop the leading zero?

--
Garry

Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org
ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc- Hide quoted text -

I thought I saw Excel drop the leading zero on 0555AA.

I rechecked and it did not.

Mike