Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
john taiariol john taiariol is offline

Default VBA code based on column heading

On Apr 8, 1:07*am, GS wrote:
john taiariol has brought this to us :

so if I have column heading called "Name" how would you write the code?

What code are you refering to? If you mean how would I use "Name" in
code it would be same as I demonstrated with the column heading
"Field1". Though, I'd be a bit more descriptive using "Name". For
example, if it was the heading for a list of items where each item had
a name I'd use "ItemName" for the range name.

If you mean how do you name a range, use the namebox on the left side
of the Formula Bar. Make sure, though, that you give it local (sheet
level) scope. Here's how:

* Select the column to be named.
* Click in the namebox and type *'<Sheet name'!ItemName
* ..where <Sheet name is the name of the active worksheet.
* Press Enter.

Now, whenever your code refs Range("ItemName") it will refer to that
column. If you ref this column in formulas on another worksheet then
include the sheetname.

* Example: *=SUMIF(Sheet1!ItemName,"TOOL ASSEMBLY", [SumRange])

If you refer to it in code then specify the worksheet as follows:

* Sheets("Sheet1").Range("ItemName")

--
Garry

Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org

I tried to put it in here and it didnt' work??

Option Compare Text
'when entering data in a cell in Col F
On Error GoTo enditall
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Target.Cells.Column = 6 Then
n = Target.Row
If Excel.Range("F" & n).Value = "TOOL ASSEMBLY" Then
Excel.Range("G" & n).Value = "A, B, C, D or whatever"
enditall:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub